The seventh edition of the premier open-air Jazz Concert in Trinidad and Tobago, Jazz Artists on the Greens, presented by Production One Ltd. (Click link to go there), will be held at the Centre for Creative and Festival Arts, U.W.I., St. Augustine, on Sunday March 29th, 2009. The 2009 edition of the event will highlight Local and Caribbean Jazz performers, and further expand the repertoire for jazz lovers on the island. The featured performers on the main stage are:
- The JAOTG Quintet featuring legendary Brazilian bassist Nilson Matta, Klaus Mueller of Germany on piano, standout trumpeter Errol Ince, guitarist Theron Shaw, and Sean Thomas, all of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Jonathan Scales of North Carolina in the US, playing the national instrument, steelpan
- Cuban vibraphone sensation Tamara Castañeda performing with her trio,
- Hot young jazz band, Blue Culture
- Trinidadian Jazz vocalists Caroline Mair and Vaughnette Bigford,
PROGRAMME FOR "JAZZ ARTISTS ON THE GREENS 2009": www.jaotg.org
|Caroline Mair||5:00 pm||Trinidad and Tobago jazz vocalist.|
|Vaughnette Bigford||5:30 pm||Trinidad and Tobago jazz vocalist.|
|Blue Culture||6:00 pm||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Tamara Castañeda||7:00 pm||Cuban jazz vibraphonist plays with her all-female trio.|
|Jonathan Scales||8:00 pm||American pannist with...|
|The JAOTG Quintet||9:00 pm||Legendary Brazilian bassist Nilson Matta, Klaus Mueller of Germany on piano, standout trumpeter Errol Ince, guitarist Theron Shaw, and Sean Thomas on drums.|
DATE & TIME: Sunday 29th March, 2009 from 5:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
VENUE: Centre for Creative and Festival Arts, Gordon Street, St. Augustine.
Click here for downloadable Map.
Directions from POS and points west of St. Augustine:
- At the junction of the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway and the Old Southern Main Road (Kay Donna/KFC junction),
- Turn left from Churchill-Rooservelt Highway toward the Eastern Main Road.
- At the junction of the Eastern Main Road and the Old Southern Main Road, continue to Gordon Street (second street on the right, after the junction).
- Turn right into Gordon Street and continue along Gordon Street for approximately 1.25 km. Centre on right.
Direction from points east of St. Augustine:
- Proceeding west along the Eastern Main Road, turn left into St. John's Road (i.e., road to Mount St. Benedict's) and continue to its junction with Warner Street. (first corner on the left).
- Turn left into Warner Street and continue to Gordon Street (first street on the right).
- Turn right into Gordon Street and continue along Gordon Street for approximately .25 km. Centre on left.
TICKET SALESAdvance tickets for Jazz Artists On The Greens 2009 are available NOW online by clicking any button above. Paper tickets will go on sale on March 2, 2009, at the following locations in Trinidad:
|Ticket Outlet||Location & Address||Contact Number|
|Stecher's Mall Outlets||Gulf City Mall, San Fernando|
West Mall, Westmoorings
Long Circular Mall, St. James
|House of Chan||Emerald Plaza, St. Augustine||(868) 645-0347|
|The Medical Dispensary||Main Road, Chaguanas||(868) 665-5889|
|Bewil & Co. Ltd.||5-7 Philips St., POS||(868) 625-4206|
|Satchmo's Jazz Restaurant & Lounge||42 Ariapita Ave., Woodbrook||(868) 622-6683|
|WMJX 100.5FM||9 Long Circular Rd., St. James||(868) 628-5644|
|Kanhai Raghubir Jewellery||13 Eastern Main Road, Curepe|
Trincity Mall, Trincity
HISTORY OF "JAZZ ARTISTS ON THE GREENS": www.jaotg.orgperceptive writer noted that "jazz events have become de rigueur throughout the world of international tourism, and the jazz festival concept has blossomed into big business. Though billed as jazz festivals, the majority of these events in the Caribbean have taken to packing their schedules with everything from pop to R&B in order to attract younger, broader audiences." In sharp contrast, Production One Ltd. has been successfully producing its flagship event, Jazz Artists On The Greens, annually since 2003 with an ear tuned to traditional jazz and its Caribbean variation.
Encouraged by the growing interest shown by long starved jazz fans at small events such as "Jazz on the Avenue", (a Caribbean Jazz recital event created and produced fortnightly in early 2003 by its associate company, S.T. Jazz, Inc.), Production One Ltd. prepared for its inaugural event, Jazz Artists on The Greens, that would be hosted in June 2003 within a larger, festival setting at a park. Leaning towards the Caribbean Jazz idiom for inspiration, and with the intention of bringing a touch of class to local jazz, the objective was to expose as many new patrons and young musicians as possible to Jazz, in an informal setting that could help remove much of the mystique that seemed to surround the genre. To quote Production One Ltd. director, Rolf Doyle, "Jazz Artists On The Greens is a first step towards a local jazz festival similar in popularity and size to those held annually in St. Lucia and Barbados, but always remaining true to the jazz." The event has grown from strength to strength, ever widening its base of regional performers...and its audience.
BOOKING INFORMATION FOR ARTISTS: www.jaotg.orgProduction One Ltd. is always on the lookout for new up-and-coming Jazz talent throughout the Caribbean for appearance at our concerts. We are currently compiling an artists' roster of Jazz musicians, jazz bands, and small steelband ensembles with a jazz repertoire for our future events. To be a part of our events, artists must provide a professionally prepared preview package, non-returnable, including the following items:
- a professional portrait (with permission to reproduce/publish, assigned to Production One Ltd., in the event the artist is hired.)
- a Compact Disc (mp3 or CDDA format) of live performances or original tunes, 3 songs maximum. (Please, a copy since we will not be returning it!)
- your biography with recent discography, if applicable,
- any other applicable promotional material, reviews, articles, contact numbers, etc.
For a downloadable copy of Booking Information for Artists, click here.